Region 14 Transition Academy
Region 14 Transition Academy is designed to:
- Increase independence
- Improve self-determination/advocacy skills
- Improve social and communication skills
- Provide community work based learning, vocational training and employment opportunities
- Prepare for post-secondary education opportunities
- Provide opportunities for learning and socialization with same age peers
- Increase community access and mobility
- Engage with adult services
- Develop recreation interests
- Individualized Transition Plans - Each student’s program is specifically tailored to his/her individual needs and goals as outlined in the individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
- Post-Secondary Education - As deemed appropriate and in accordance with an IEP, students will learn how to become a positive self-advocate to participate in post-secondary education and will practice strategies needed for postsecondary education.
- Independent Living Skills Development - Staff provides instruction and evaluation of daily living skills to allow for independent functioning in a variety of environments (home, school, work, and community).
- Integrated Related Services -Each student will receive related services as appropriate based upon their Individualized Educational Plan. The related services team may consist of an occupational therapist, speech-language therapist, physical therapist, counselor and nurse as needed.
- Self Determination and Interpersonal Skills - Students will be taught strategies to manage stress and anxiety, mood fluctuation, sadness and/or frustration. Students will learn strategies to improve concentration, self-discipline, and motivation.
- Transportation/Mobility within the Community- Students will be provided instruction and problem- solving strategies for using transportation options within the community.
- Recreation and Leisure Activities - Students will develop necessary skills to live within the community and utilize recreation/leisure resources while developing the necessary skills to be good citizens.
- Vocational/Employment - Students will participate in work-related activities (i.e.: job readiness, social skills) that will enhance employability and enhance career options.
- Complete High School graduation
- Require special education services
- Be between the ages of 18 - 21
Donna Marcinek - Special Services Director Regional School District 14
Phone: (203) 263-0416