Dear Parents and Guardians:
Good afternoon! After quite an irregular week last week, we are happy to be in school and looking forward to a full week of classes. Please note that this Friday is a modified day for professional learning and Monday there is no school in remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s birthday.
Covid Symptoms and Absences - Thank you for keeping your students home when they are experiencing Covid-like symptoms and/or are awaiting test results. We appreciate your help in maintaining as healthy an environment as possible here at school. If your student will be absent due to Covid-like symptoms, please call the attendance line (203-263-2186 x1) and leave a message explaining the reason for their absence so it can be noted in PowerSchool. Please keep your student home from school until symptoms pass or they receive a negative result.
Jeff Yalden, January 13th - Jeff Yalden, a highly respected motivational speaker who is most recognized for his work with teens and mental health issues facing teens today, will be speaking with our students in the morning on January 13th. We will run two sessions in the gymnasium so all students will get the opportunity to attend.
Midterm Exams - The scheduled dates for Midterm Exams are January 27th - February 1st.
Mask wearing - Mask wearing while in the school buildings is required by all persons regardless of vaccination status. This means a snug fit covering both the mouth and nose. We know this can be a contentious topic, and although we recognize there are differing opinions on this topic, Region #14 schools will follow state and DPH guidelines for mask-wearing in school. We will continue to remind students of their importance and will have masks available for those who need them. Your support with this is greatly appreciated.
Updated COVID guidance - On December 31, 2021, the Region 14 School District was informed that the CT State Department of Public Health updated its considerations for Quarantine, Isolation, Testing, and Contact Tracing Policies and Procedures in Prek-12 schools based on guidance from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. Region #14 will adhere to these new guidelines. Please see the link for specific information.
Program of Studies for 2022-2023 School Year - The Program of Studies for the 2022-2023 school year will be released for viewing soon. Students will have the opportunity to view the Program of Studies in advisory and ask their advisors, teachers, and counselors questions about course selection for next year.
School Counseling - The school counselors met with seniors during Advisory last week. We discussed the next steps in the college selection process including evaluating financial aid awards, accessing university accounts, orientation, roommate selection, and making a deposit. We also explored the critical topics of student loans and debt.
- Local scholarship help session - January 20th, the school counselors will be hosting an after-school local scholarship help session. In the next week, our local scholarship application will be available. We will be communicating instructions on how to complete the application shortly.
SAT test prep - Nonnewaug High School is offering free SAT Prep. This course leading up to the March 23rd test date will prepare you for the Math and English portions of the SAT. The course is free. For more information or any questions, please contact Mrs. Cowles (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Riordan (email@example.com). See link to the flyer for more details.
Nonnewaug’s Team Beta - Congratulations to Nonnewaug's Team Beta who was the top-ranked team after the Tech Challenge qualifying tournament on Saturday in Winsted! The team has also been invited to FIRST's Tech Challenge State Championship tournament in February. Go Chiefs Robotic team!
Athletic update- We appreciate all who have followed safety protocols at our games. We ask for your continued support as all attendees are expected to wear a mask at all times.
Sports Schedules: Please note that these events may change based on the fluid situation that we are experiencing with covid metrics.
- 1/10- Girls and Boys Indoor Track at Southern CT- 3:30
- 1/11- Boys basketball @ Nonnewaug- 6:00
- 1/11- Swimming @ Kennedy High School-7:00
- 1/12- Hockey @ Frederick Gunn (Gunnery)- 7:00
- 1/12- Wrestling @ Nonnewaug- 7:00
- 1/14- Girls basketball @ Nonnewaug- 6:00
- 1/17- Gymnastics @ Vasi’s in Newtown- 10:00AM
- 1/18- Unified basketball @ Oxford- 2:30
*Please note- all sporting events at Housatonic are currently not allowing fans. Please use this link to see their live stream feed: Housatonic Facebook Page for Sports.
- 1/13 - Jeff Yalden School-wide presentation
- 1/14 - Modified Day/Teachers’ PD Day - dismissal at 11:55 am
- 1/17 - MLK, Jr. Day - No School
- 1/18 - FFA Meeting during Extended Flex
- 1/20 - Senior Scholarship Help Session - 2 pm to 3 pm - LMC
- 1/20 - National Art Honor Society Induction - 6:30 pm - LMC
- 1/24 - Extended Flex Day
- 1/25 - Extended Flex Day (Reading Day - No New Learning or Tests)
- 1/26 - Reading Day - No New Learning or Tests
- 1/27 - 2/1 - Midterm Exams
- 1/28 - 8th Grade Electives Fair - 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm
- 2/2 - Tri-M Music, English & History Honor Societies Induction - 6 pm - Auditorium
As always, thank you for your support.
Pamela Sordi, Principal
Taryn Fernandez, Assistant Principal
Declan Curtin, Dean/Athletic Director