Health Services


The Region 14 Health Services Department works to promote student and staff health and safety.Our school nurses provide nursing care and health education to all students, staff and parents.

School nurses advance the well-being, academic success, and life-long achievement of students. With a multi-faceted role within the school setting, the school nurse supports the physical, mental, emotional, and social health of our students while supporting the academic success of the student population.

Parent communications with the school nurse is vital to the health and safety of each student as it helps to foster community involvement in assuring a healthy school.

Please use the below links for further information on health and wellness in schools, frequently asked questions and when to keep your child at home. Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions. We are always here to help.

Susan Snabaitis


Sandra Snabaitis R.N.

Telephone: (203) 263-6889
Fax: (203) 263-6586


Julie Opici


Julee Oppici R.N.

Telephone: (203) 263-4306 Ext. 2
Fax: (203) 263-3570


Marianne Dwan


Marianne Dwan R.N.

Telephone: (203) 263-4314 Ext. 2
Fax: (203) 263-4244


Susan Williams


Susan Williams R.N.

Telephone: (203) 266-7506 Ext. 2
Fax: (203) 266-7876


Region 14 Health Services Guidelines and Policies

Annual Screenings

Vision Screening:
Grades K, 1, 3, 4 and 5
Hearing Screening:
Grades K, 1, 3, 4 and 5
Postural (Scoliosis) Screening:
Grades 5 and 7 Girls, Grades 8 and 9 Boys

The Puberty Talk is presented to fifth graders

Administration of Medication Regulations

Connecticut Immunization Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I keep my child home from school?

Consider keeping your child home if he/she:

  • Has a fever of 100.1 degrees or higher
  • Has been vomiting
  • Has symptoms preventing him/her from participating in school such as:
    • Excessive tiredness or lack of appetite
    • Productive coughing or sneezing, inability to consistently cover cough/sneeze
    • Headache, body aches, earache
    • Sore throat
    • Rash

Keep your child home until his or her fever has been gone for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication. Colds can be contagious for at least 48 hours. Although your child's presence in school is important, returning to school too soon may slow the recovery process and expose others unnecessarily to illness.

Do I need to notify school personnel if my child will be absent?

Yes. Please call the attendance line 203-266-4389 to report any absences. If your child's attendance pattern is affecting school performance you may be contacted to discuss a plan to ensure maximum school attendance while addressing your child's individual health needs.

What do I do if my child needs medication during the school day?

An "Authorization for the Administration of Medicine by School Personnel Form" (doctor's order) is required for any medication that is to be given at any Region 14 school. This includes prescribed and over the counter medications, Advil, Tylenol, eye drops, cough drops, hydrocortisone creams, sunscreen, etc. The form must be signed by your medical provider (Physician, Physicians Assistant, APRN, Dentist, or Optometrist licensed to prescribe medication in accordance with state law. Please note that orders cannot be accepted from a Naturopathic Doctor). You can download and print the required form, Medication Authorization Form here or from the forms library, it is also available in the health office and main office.

Can I send in medication to school with my child?

Medication cannot be sent to school with a child (for example lactaid tablets, vitamins). It must be delivered to the school nurse by an adult. Medication must be delivered in the original container/packaging. Prescription medication must have a current and complete prescription label from the packing pharmacy. An "Authorization for the Administration of Medicine by School Personnel Form", must be completed and signed by the prescribing physician.

What do I do if my child has an injury or illness and cannot participate in Physical Education (Gym) or Recess activities?

It is expected that students will arrive at school available to learn and ready to participate fully in all activities within the school day. If your child has an injury or illness that prevents full participation, communication from your medical provider is required specifying activities that must be modified or avoided. For a child to be excused from physical education due to illness or injury a physician's order is required.

Will my child need a physical exam yearly?

A physical exam is required before the start of kindergarten, or if your child is entering school in Connecticut for the first time. The entry physical must have been done within 1 year prior to your child's starting school date. An annual physical is not required, but one may be requested if your child has medical issues that require school planning. If your child should receive any immunizations, please forward the update to the school nurse. Forms are available in the Main Office, Health Office, and on this website under forms library, or by downloading the form here; Physical Form (entry to grades K-12; blue form).

Can you talk to my child's doctor directly about his/her health or school matters?

I can contact your medical provider directly to discuss required school immunizations, questions regarding active medication orders, and questions related to your child's physical exam (blue form). Any other communication will require a parent or guardian's written permission. The "Release of Records" form is available in the Main Office, Health Office, and on this website under forms or you may download the form here;Release of Records.

Are Health Screenings Performed each year?

Screenings are performed according to the following schedule:

  • Vision & Hearing: K, 1,3,4,5
  • Postural: Grades 5 & 7 for females, Grades 8 or 9 for males

A parent and/or teacher may request a re-screening at any time during the academic year. If a student has failed a screening a individual referral will be sent home.

Health Forms

Helpful Links

Region 14 Health & Wellness

Student Accident Insurance Information

Information on the Dangers of Tobacco Products