Athens and Sparta
World Civilizations Athens & Sparta Handout & Rubric
You are a journalist living in ancient Greece. You are writing a story about the people and their way of life in the two most famous Greek city-states. You must use the websites provided to obtain material in addition to our text, HUMAN LEGACY, and write one newspaper article comparing one characteristic of civilization as it developed in each of the two city states: Athens and Sparta. Use the Newspaper Template provided for you below.
Characteristic Example: Economy (Trade and Agriculture)
You may choose from the following topics for your article:
- Military/Armed Forces
- Social Classes
- Role of Women
Your article should include:
- Three points of comparison and/or contrast between Athens and Sparta
- Headline that captures the reader’s attention and accurately describes the content.
- Article begins with an introduction that describes the topic
- The Body of the article contains the five Ws: Who, What, Where, When and Why?
- Article ends with a conclusion that restates the main idea strongly.
- Article is accompanied by an image, with a caption which identifies the image. The image supports and explains the significance of the article.
Caption Example: The Parthenon, the temple of Athena
Article: Greek Religion
OR…..You may write an interview with a famous person of the time or an individual who experienced an event first hand and follow all of the instructions above selecting an image of the person interviewed to fulfill the image requirement.